Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Tavern at 12th and North Lamar in Austin Texas








The Tavern looks like a Swiss chalet and has been sitting on the corner of Lamar and 12th Street for what seems to be forever. I don't know when it was originally established but I do remember when it fell on hard times and had to close after the city cited them for multiple code violations. It was a gloomy period for a while, when no one knew if it would ever reopen, then local radio personality Bob Cole bought the place and restored it to its former glory. There is really not much to say about this place except that it is historic and there are flat screen televisions everywhere. The place has the University of Texas spirit heavily infused and they make pretty good pub food. I can honestly say that although I've only passed through the doors about a dozen times in my life I felt a real sense of emptiness and loss when I thought it was gone for good. Thankfully for me and the rest of Austin those days are now past and it appears to be on a solid financial footing with a very healthy and dedicated clientele. It's a central Austin icon without a doubt. http://www.austintavern.com/

No comments: