Friday, April 18, 2008

Cactus Cafe in the Union Building on the West Mall of UT in Austin









































Don't you start me talking, I'll tell everything I know. I have many great memories of the Cactus Cafe spread out over years of sporadic visits. I've seen many fine musical acts there. Rosalie Sorrels, Loudon Wainwright, Laurie Lewis, Tim and Mollie O'Brien, John Gorka, Citizen Cope and many others. Plus I've taken many a coffee break there in the mornings and afternoons. The plaster detail on the ceilings is very cool in the straps that run vertically through the room. Guns, ropes, boots that's Texas, right? Plus Rattlesnakes, although I have never seen one in the wild. I have a soft spot for the University of Texas in general and the Cactus Cafe in particular. They used to be in competition with the Texas Tavern and the Bowling Alley Beer Concession but they are the last place left on campus that operates as a bar open to the public. I commend them and the excellent management they have maintained over the years. Parking in this area often requires quarters and a few trips around the block but it is worth parking farther away and walking. I bought two people a beer during happy hour and it was less than five dollars. I like that. Check out all of the great posters in the lobby. This place is a musical landmark.

No comments: