Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hut's Hamburgers on West Sixth in Austin Texas















I almost couldn't believe that I had never been in this Austin Institution in my life until this visit. I have driven past the place about a hundred times a year for twenty seven years and thought about stopping in on almost every pass. I finally did because of this blog and now I know what I have been missing. The place is cool. They have pictures of musicians and sports memorabilia all over the walls and the shiniest clean floor I have ever seen. Everyone was chowing down and the bartender seemed a little miffed that all I wanted was a beer. No onion rings? You sure you don't want to see a menu? I said no but in retrospect some onion rings might have been just the ticket. I was really impressed by the size of the place. It is at least three times as large as I had imagined it to be and I can't figure out why I thought it would be tiny. It's funny how your mind can fill itself with false images. I think that maybe I saw a picture taken from a strange angle or something. Anyway, like most of the places on West Sixth Street there is no parking to speak of, at most they have a few slots, but take some quarters and you can park at a meter with no problem most of the time. I think the next time I drive by on an empty stomach I'll check out the grub myself. It looked pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNEwsoP6xi0 http://www.hutsfrankandangies.com/

No comments: