Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wahoo's Fish Taco between West Fifth and Sixth on Rio Grande in Austin











Wahoo's is a great place to drink a beer and have a fish taco but I passed on the latter during my visit because this is a beer joint blog and I don't care what kind of food they serve. Although if I ever were inclined to eat a fish taco this would be the place I would do it. They are fairly new to Austin and took over space that was formerly Cothron's Key Shop. This was my first time in the place as a bar but I had been there many times when I needed keys cut. The decor is California meets Austin but it is comfortable and very interesting. There are stickers stuck on almost every flat surface and they just recently added a tribute to Johnny Cash mural on the outside alley wall. The mural inside is pretty unique as well and the service is fast and friendly. The day I was there was pretty slow business wise but it was an early afternoon. On Saturday night it was packed. They are not the first fish taco place Austin has ever known but they may well be the first ones to make a success out of it. How could you not like a place where the bartender is willing to pose for a picture and they make a point of giving you some free stickers before you leave? Such was my experience and it left me with a desire to come back soon for some more beers and to maybe even try a ....fish taco? A fish taco? Oh well, keepin' it weird. That's the Austin way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02m-8Xp8To http://www.wahoos.com/

No comments: