Friday, March 14, 2008

The Key Bar on West Sixth at Rio Grande in Austin


























This is one of the newest additions to an ever expanding line up of cool bars on West Sixth Street in Austin. I had assumed that it was the front portion of Wahoo's Fish Taco and a couple of nights later a friend was equally surprised to find that it is a totally different business called the Key Bar. If they have a sign to that effect I couldn't find it but both the waitress and bartender assured me that's the name of the place. It is mostly an open air bar which is an excellent concept during warm weather but I do think that could be a problem when a norther blows into Austin. Luckily they have an enclosed area as well for just such occasions. The place was jam packed last night with a different band playing about every hour but on a typical afternoon when the sun is shining and a light breeze is blowing you would swear you were sipping your drink somewhere down in the Florida Keys, hence the name I assume. Or it could be called that because of the old Cothron's Key shaped sign around the corner that now identifies Wahoo's Fish Taco, I really don't know. It's the kind of place I could envision myself returning to frequently if they are successful. There is a lot of competition in the area and although I believe there is enough potential business for everyone to succeed, history has often proven different. I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I'm wishing them much success and I think they have a good chance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp0ek9jy48w http://www.keybaraustin.com/

No comments: